Sunday, August 30, 2009

Mrs?

Not being a feminist or having any extraordinary connection to my last name, I always knew it would change once I was married.
Mine and Andrew's last names are very similar in that neither of them would actually be our last names if only blood was considered. You see, my last name is actually my step grandfathers name. Andrews last name is the surname of his fathers adoptive parents. I have a very untraditional family (which is becoming even more common). I kind of always expected to marry someone who had a long running surname that represented a dynasty of honourable and christian marriages. I wanted to love and be so excited about my new last name, to have it in decorated block letters along a mantel.

It took me ages to get used to, but now Ive realised something. Just because the name hasnt had the sort of history I always wanted (one of godly, honourable and happy marriages) doesnt mean it can't in the future!
So Ive decided that from our wedding day, Im going to work at creating the sort of marriage that I can be proud of, Im going to have a wonderful christian marriage and create a surname that I will be proud to have. It will be kind of like a new start, after all, nothing and no one in this world is perfect.

No comments: